Disclosure: I received a sample product at no cost and a promotional item to thank me for my time writing this post. All opinions expressed herein are honest and are entirely my own.
My childhood memories are filled with remembrances of canoeing, marching down dirt roads with friends while singing fun camp songs, and eating lunch in a hall filled with other kids my age. I’m so excited for my own kids to make similar memories!
Like any parent though, I want them to have a fun and safe experience. Whether they are at a sleep-away camp or a day camp, there are certain things you can do to make sure your child stays safe and healthy while getting the most out of their camp experience.
Tips for an Awesome Summer Camp Experience
- Sunblock, hat, and bug repellent: Do NOT let your child walk out the door without these items. Living in an area of the country that is absolutely infested with mosquitoes and ticks like Louisiana is, you learn to think twice about skipping the bug repellent. Sunburns are also common with campers. I know from personal experience that sunburns can do lasting damage –damage your kids may pay for for years down the road. Hats are particularly important even if your child is a sunglasses wearer. Hats will protect the areas of skin that are the most exposed: the nose and cheeks.
- Teach your kid to apply: “I learned that as a kid. I was just applying it!” ~Brian Regan. This is a literal case of needing to teach your children to “apply it”. Putting sunblock and bug repellent on your kid is all well and good, but they need to reapply it throughout the day. They won’t have mom or dad there to do it for them so make sure your child knows how to get their own sunblock on.
- Water and Lots of it! Make sure your children are equipped with a large child-size water bottle like the 14 oz. Contigo Gizmo Sip water bottle. Encourage them to carry it with them wherever they go and to sip regularly. Dehydration is real, it happens fast, and it can be life-threatening.
- Postcards: If you child is going to a sleep away camp, send them with lots of post cards and stamps. This way, if they start to feel homesick, they can write you a couple short sentences. They can have their friends write their addresses on the leftover cards so they can have pen pals and keep up friendships when they get home.
- Send a camera: As long as it isn’t against camp rules, it might be fun to send your child (at least one of the days) with an inexpensive camera. That way they can take some memory shots of their favorite activities and friends.
I’m hoping to find a fun summer day-camp for my boys to go to this summer. And, when they head off to camp they’ll be toting their sunblock, bug spray, and Contigo Gizmo Sip water bottles.
I really like the way Contigo designed the Gizmo Sip bottles. They’re the easiest water bottle we have to clean; they are dishwasher safe in the top rack. Because of their design, are very unlikely to develop mold or mildew inside. There is no straw, just a button that releases the stopper in the sipper area so the child can sip their drink out. The bottle immediately seals when the button is not depressed.
Contigo Gizmo sip bottles are designed for ages 3+. The back of the bottle features an extra large button, perfect for little fingers. The button was a bit stiff at first and difficult for my 5 year old to press down, but it is getting easier with use so if you find it difficult at first, don’t give up on it. I love the no-spill spout. My boys are too big for sippy cups, but when we are outside, being active I love that they can have a bottle I don’t have to worry about them accidentally spilling.
I’m really loving the colors and designs the Gizmo Sip is available in. It can be a difficult thing to find fun, cool boy prints on, well, anything really, but the Contigo Gizmo Sip bottles not only work well, but they look cool! My 5 year old is super excited about his new water bottle! Blue is his favorite color. Check out this link to see the other fun Gizmo Sip designs.
Want to try the Contigo Gizmo Sip for your kids this spring and summer? Take advantage of this Contigo Coupon Code: GIZMO25 for 25% off your Contigo purchase now through May 31st!
Contigo is giving one lucky reader 4 Contigo Gizmo Sip water bottles!
open to US residents, ages 18+