I know…I’ve yet to see a really appetizing picture of Chicken and Dumplings.
What the what?! Gluten free Chicken and Dumplings?!
Yep, and they are delicious! Sometimes it can be really difficult coming up with gluten free dinner ideas for those of us who aren’t accustomed to it. And before you start getting suspicious that you’ll have to hunt through the stores for exotic gluten free flours, and spend hours slaving over a hot stove over this one, here me out.
This gluten free Chicken and Dumplings is sooo easy to make! Here is why…
You see, though I receive rave reviews for my improvised cooking, I make no pretenses about being a good baker. No, pretty much everything I bake from scratch–save my awesome cookies–is a dud. BUT the other day as I was craving some delicious chicken and dumplings for dinner and lamenting that none of my boys can do gluten, the light bulb went on!
“Hey, I’m pretty sure our Gluten Free Bisquick has a recipe for biscuits! I’ll bet that will work in chicken and dumplings!
And, work it did! And we did taste it, and it was good!
Now, like most soups, chicken and dumplings is awesome cause you can kinda adjust the recipe to accommodate what you have on hand. For instance, the other day we were out of chicken breast in the freezer so I substituted 3 cans of Hormel Premium Chunk Chicken Breast that we had in our pantry (I always keep a few cans of chicken on hand in the pantry for just such emergencies). We also had this cool herb and garlic butter that I thought would taste good in the biscuits so I used some of that instead of shortening (which, by the way, we never have. I ALWAYS substitute butter for shortening.)
Not only was using the canned chicken convenient, but it also reduced both prep and cooking time. Instead of taking 3 hours to cook, the chicken and dumplings took about 45 minutes to cook!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 large carrots chopped, diced, whatever makes you happy
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- *Optional: Substitute boneless, skinless chicken breast with 3 10 oz cans Hormel Chicken Breast (drained)
- 8 cups water
- 8 cubes Herb-Ox Chicken Bullion Cubes (when using canned chicken you may want to only use 7 cubes bullion to reduce the overall salt content of the dish)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Gluten free Bisquick dumplings:
- 2 Cups Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- Combine chicken, chopped veggies, bullion, pepper, and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- If you're cooking with chicken breasts simmer 2 hours. Then remove the chicken from the post, shred it, and return it to the pot.
- If you're cooking with canned chicken simmer 20-25 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl cut butter into mix with a fork until particles are the size of small peas.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until soft dough forms.
- Drop by spoonfuls into simmering soup.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serves 4-6