Homemade Apple Pie Caramel Apples #Recipe

A couple of months ago while enjoying a nice girls weekend my daughter and I stopped to get a caramel apple while doing some shopping. My daughter had never had one before and needless to say she is absolutely obsessed with them now! So my sister and I thought it would be fun to make some. Just check it out!

Doesn’t that look delicious!  That one had a layer of caramel, then white chocolate and then cinnamon and sugar.  And believe me it was yummy!

Here is the recipe we used and directions

Apple Pie Caramel Apples

Ingredients:

1 bag caramels
4-5 green apples
1 bag white chocolate chips or white chocolate candy melts
cinnamon sugar

Instructions:

• Wash, scrub, and dry apples.  This is important or your caramel won’t stick because of the waxy film stores put on the apples
  • In a medium saucepan melt caramel according to the package.  We used a double boiler or you can melt it in the microwave on 50% power
  • Put a popsicle stick in the apple.
  • Dip in melted caramel and fully coat it
  • Place on parchment or wax paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  You must do this or the apples will stick to the paper
  • Cool them in the fridge until the caramel is set up.
  • Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or double boiler.  You can add a little shortening if the mixture is too thick.
  • Coat the apple with the chocolate.
  • Let it cool in the fridge just a little bit.
  • While it is still sticky sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar
  • Cool completely in the fridge.

We did one batch of these apples and then we did a batch of apples for the kids.  For the kids apples we dipped them in the caramel then in milk chocolate and then they picked their toppings.  Crushed up Oreo’s, mini m&m’s or sprinkles.  I thought a crushed up candy bar would have been yummy too!  We let the kids dip the apples in their topping and they had lots of fun doing that.

These can be made up to one day in advance and then stored in the refrigerator.  We probably had some in the fridge for a week and they were still perfect.

I thought these would be fun for thanksgiving, for friends birthdays or for neighbor gifts for Christmas.  Just wrap them up in a cellophane or a clear gift sack and tie with cute ribbon and it’s done!

Signature

Comments

1. Those look yummy!! Never would have thought of doing Cinnamon Sugar to it, but sounds good!!
    Kelsey Apley recently posted..FREE Scotch-Brite Disinfecting Wipes (First 8,000)My Profile

2. courtney b says:

wow those look nothing short of amazing!

3. Oh my word! I’m seriously drooling. These would be the perfect treat for Thanksgiving dessert. And different from what we used to have.
    Danielle recently posted..Brunch at Pita Jungle in Hillcrest with Bottomless Mimosas #PJSDMy Profile

4. Mary Dailey says:

My husband would love the caramel apple. I will have to try this.

5. That Cinnamon Sugar idea is golden! Those look delish!
    Kas
    Kasandria Reasoner recently posted..#GreatValue Thanksgiving Shopping Trip and Crescent Roll RecipeMy Profile

6. Love the gourmet look!
    Megan @mnmspecial recently posted..Tiny Prints Holiday Cards and $50 Credit GiveawayMy Profile

7. Those look amazing!! I love the idea of the caramel and then the white chocolate on top!
    Jenn @therebelchick recently posted..Win Your Way to Prizes with Shop Your Way Rewards #WinYourWayMy Profile

8. you had me at “Homemade Apple Pie” and then you added Caramel Apples to the title, my stomach just started growling! I have to try this
    Tesa @ 2 Wired 2 Tired recently posted..Glad Black Bags Brighten Up Our HolidaysMy Profile

9. Those apple pie caramel apples are so pretty! I bet they taste great!
    Lolo recently posted..Thanksgiving Craft for Kids | Turkey Vase CenterpieceMy Profile

10. I love your playfulness and combination of ingredients. Looks tasty and fun!

11. Richard Hicks says:

Look great!~ I love these and want to make some using your recipe. Kids will love them too

12. That looks so yummy! I have to try the white chocolate and caramel combo! Nom.
    Ashley @MamaOfAllTrades recently posted..Holiday Comfort with CottonelleMy Profile

13. Blessie Nelson says:

Oh my what a guilty dessert!! So tempting :)) Thank you for sharing! I will allow atleast one of them into my tummy this holiday season!

14. Gina Brickell says:

What a great way to get the kids to eat their fruits!! I have a 5 year old son and he doesn’t really like eating fruits (he WILL eat some veggies though).. I bet if I did up the apple like this he would go to town on it!!!! Well, that is if there was any left for him.. I’d probably love them myself!

15. Sandy VanHoey says:

I love caramel apples but this looks fabulous. Chocolate is something I crave so this would be great for me

16. my goodness! These look amazing….I think I’ve been inspired ;)

17. Nancy Hilderbrand says:

Plan to try these the next time the kids come over for the weekend

18. Krista Grandstaff says:

I have a huge bowl of leftover caramel in the fridge ( I got a little too melt happy when I was making Christmas cookies and candies…lol) and these would be a great way to use it up….thanks so much for sharing!

19. Julie Wood says:

Caramel apples area so delicious! I like the way that you make yours. I have so much fun in the Fall making these apples, but it would be nice to make these now after Christmas!

20. Ttrockwood says:

These look so professional! What a fun way to have a fruit based dessert!

21. this looks so good! i think i have to try the one with m&ms