Homemade Play Dough #Summerfun #Craft

This is a super easy recipe for homemade play dough that I received from a friend.  I hate the smell of the store bought stuff so I like to make my own.  Plus the kids have fun making it and choosing their color.  This is also fun to make on hot summer days for a break from the sun, or for Joy School for the kids to play with.

These are all the ingredients you need to make the play dough.

Here is what you’ll need and how you’ll do it:

Homemade Play Dough

Mix in a sauce pan:

1 c flour

1/2 c salt

2 T cream of tartar
Add:

1 c water

1 T oil

food coloring

Cook on medium, stirring constantly (about 3-5 minutes) until it forms a ball. Knead on lightly floured surface. Store in an air tight container.

Mixing it all in a pan on the stove

After a few minutes, it will start to change.  It’s crazy how it starts to form together and make a soft moldable ball.

Then, knead it on a lightly floured counter

And play!

Signature

Comments

1. Great timing! I’m always looking for new ” play doh” recipes!
    Queentob recently posted..Zarbee’s Cough Products #review & #GiveawayMy Profile

2. What a great idea. Can’t wait to give it a try with the kiddos. Looks easy to make!

3. courtney b says:

cool! this will save money for sure!:) thanks for the recipe!

4. Mary Dailey says:

Wow, I just have to make some of this for the grandkids. Their parents don’t like them making a mess, but Grandma doesn’t mind! LOL We’ll do it at my house!

5. kelly schirado says:

I use koolaid which colors it and smells great!!

6. Janet W. says:

This looks like fun to make! And easy, too! Great summer idea, thanks!

7. I used to love Play Dough, especially in the summer. I hated cleaning the million little specs out of the carpet when it was played with inside.

8. angela dupree says:

This is cool, I will be passing this recipe a long to my daughters 1st grade teacher

9. What a great recipe for lots of fun with clay. Thanks for this. The grandkids are always looking for new ways to create.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

10. Sue Hull says:

Hello,
    This is so cool! I watch my 4 yr old neice and she’s beren wanting me to go buy playdoh but now I can make it. Thanks so much for the recipe! Have A Good Wk!

11. Juliana says:

So happy to find a new play dough recipe! I loved making this with my mom! Thanks!

12. Loralyn S says:

This looks like so much fun! I am definately going to try it with my kids.

13. That brings back good memories:)

14. Sandy VanHoey says:

I think this is the same recipe I have used for years. I use to make it for my kids and now the grandkids. It turns out excellent, so soft and last for a long time. You get a lot of it from 1 batch also.

15. Stephanie says:

thanks for this im gonna make play dough yay

16. Dianna Thomas says:

Ok this might just work for my Jesse– Its just to hot to go out at 100 today– thanks so much

17. Great money saving tip! Plus, who doesn’t love Play-Doh? (I still do!)
    Susan McNeill recently posted..Which Pantone color trends will you be wearing this Fall?My Profile

18. Michelle P says:

Thank you for posting this recipe! It looks really easy and I love that you can create colors that you can’t buy in stores.

19. michelle warner says:

this is so cool, im going to make this and my kids and i will play for hours

20. Tiffany Winner says:

i remember when a babysitter brought homemade playdough for us once, that was almost 30 years ago!

21. Thanks for sharing!

22. Thomas Murphy says:

great idea, my kids will love making play dough.

23. I love this. I feel safer letting the kids play with this version and I make my own custom colors.
    Peggy recently posted..My Blog is Getting a FaceliftMy Profile

24. Wow, I have never made Play Dough before. It is great to make, if you have none and I would imagine, a lot safer as well.

25. Amy Spears says:

This would be so much fun to make with my nephew. He will learn some cooking skills and get to craft!

26. how fun! this will keep ‘em entertaineD!

27. Elizabeth says:

About how much does this recipe make? Want to make it to use for party favors. Going to use baby jars, how many baby jars do u think this recipe will fill? Thanks in advance :)

• Kate Southwick says:

It made a really good ball for one person that could definatly be split up. If you used the stage 3 baby jars you could probably fill 5-6 jars I would think. And if you used the smaller jars it would fill even more. Thats just my estimate though! :)