Mmm…I love a good Jamaican Jerk Chicken! Who doesn’t? But before we get into that I want to introduce you to an awesome cookbook chock full of savory and healthful recipes!
The Looneyspoons Collection is jam-packed (as in “loaded”…not as in “full of jam”) with Greta’s amazing recipes (wait until you try her gluten-free brownies!) and tons of cutting-edge nutrition and lifestyle tips. It’s Janet & Greta’s most comprehensive cookbook to date and includes reader-favourite recipes from Looneyspoons, Crazy Plates and Eat, Shrink and Be Merry, PLUS recipes developed for magazines, their TV show and LOTS of BRAND-NEW, never-seen-before stuff, too.
The Looneyspoons Collection is a has-it-all recipe book. The book is full of great for you, low-sodium, high vitamin recipes, there are several gluten-free recipes (there is even a great explanation of gluten intolerance with a description of some of the symptoms), high fiber recipes, kid friendly recipes. I think it’s a generally accepted idea that when you purchase a cookbook there are going to be several recipes that you know you’ll never use because they just don’t look like something you and your family would like. Well, I don’t know if the Podleski sisters and I have the same palates, but as I went through and bookmarked recipes I wanted to try, I quickly realized I was bookmarking almost every page! A little warning for you though: don’t open this book when you are hungry! The pictures are so mouthwatering you might be compelled to make several recipes for dinner.
What really sets The Looneyspoons Collection apart from other cookbooks is its entertainment factor. It is hilarious! One could pick up this book, never cook a recipe from it, and still feel satisfied that they made a good purchase. With chapters like “Ladle Gaga” and “A Fine Kettle of Fish” you’ll find yourself chuckling as you flip through the recipes and read witty titles like “Darth Tater” and “Garden of Eatin’ “. Amidst all the giggles you’ll probably also learn a thing or two…or three. There are hundreds of healthy eating, weight-loss and anti-aging tips thanks to Janet, a Registered Holistic Nutritionist.
For my first cooking venture from The Looneyspoons Collection I decided to try “Jamaican Me Hungry!” Jamaican Jerk Chicken .
This recipe is Caribbean Jamaican Jerk Chicken.
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Green onions
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tbsp grated gingerroot
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (wear gloves)
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp each: dried thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 lbs)
- Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Place chicken thighs in a large, heavy-duty, resealable plastic bag. Add marinade and seal bag. Turn bag several times to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium setting. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and place on a grill rack that has been lightly brushed with oil. Grill for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Be careful not to burn the chicken.
- Serve hot chicken with mango salsa. If you purchase The Looneyspoons Collection there is an excellent recipe for Mango Salsa on p. 273
Is your mouth watering yet???
I left out the jalapeños (I LOVE them but The Husband doesn’t like the spice), used boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs, and cooked it on our Foreman Grill (didn’t have any propane, *sigh*). They turned out delicious, but would have been much better with the jalapeño (sticks tongue out at husband).
For the Mango Salsa Recipe for this dish, click here.
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of The Looneyspoons Collection by the authors, at no cost to myself, in order to facilitate a review. The opinions expressed are honest and are entirely my own.