Summer is coming! We’re already feeling the heat here in San Antonio. 94 degrees here on Wednesday! Thankfully, summer brings more than just heat. Summer is an especially fun time for the kiddos. Loads of unstructured time. Playtime galore. Time to be outside exploring, swimming, riding bikes.
Summer camp is one of those memory making experiences that kids treasure for a lifetime. I went to a summer camp in Puget Sound when I was a kid. I still remember walking down the path to the mess hall singing songs about violas, trombones, and Johnny Appleseed. I remember jumping into the freezing cold Puget Sound to swim from one dock to another so I could pass off some crazy swim-in-numbing-water requirement.
Camp Huawni is a summer camp for kids ages 6-18 located in east Texas just a couple hours north of Houston. For over 40 summers they’ve provided kids with a Christian environment, a awesome camp staff, and plenty of fun in the sun!
As I’ve looked into the camp I’ve noticed how many testimonials there are from return campers. Many of the kids attending Camp Huawni return year after year. Here is what 6 time summer camper (who then spent 5 more summers as a counselor) has to say about her camp experience.
Looking back over the years and my experiences, here are my five favorite things that I enjoy most about Camp:
- At Huawni, loyalty plays a huge role in relationships – everyone sticks around and further develops our friendships.
- Love is another common factor. Everyone loves each other despite who they are or where they come from – Camp Huawni is a place where I get to be me.
- Camp wouldn’t be Camp if it wasn’t outside and established around nature. Being outdoors is a part of who we are.
- Reverence is another characteristic my summer camp is known for. Here at Camp, we are given the chance to get away from the real world and become closer to God through his creation.
- Competition is always a unique and great experience. No matter what we are doing, there is always some form of competition going on and it keeps us motivated to keep going.
Want to know more about Camp Huawni?
Disclosure: I am posting this as a part of the Camp Huawni Mom bloggers. In exchange for my posts my son will receive tuition to attend Camp Huawni next year.