We recently had a new baby, and we have such generous neighbors that we had a bunch of meals brought into the house. It seemed that with every meal they also brought desser–which is a big deal in our house. Not that I don’t like dessert (because I really do!), it’s just that my kids have egg allergies, and a lot of the desserts just aren’t the same or don’t work out using an egg substitute. So, I’ve pretty much kept desserts out of the house except on special occasions. But now each night my kids are asking what’s for dessert, what’s for dessert?
I have become obsessed with Pintrest, and one day I found a simple dessert called Rolo Cake Mix Bars that did not require eggs! I was so excited I had to try it!
It was a really simple recipe. All you needed was a yellow cake mix, evaporated milk, butter and rolo’s
Then you mix the cake mix, milk, and melted butter
Divide it in half. In a 9×13 greased pan smooth out half the cake mixture and bake it for about 8 minutes
Then you add the Rolo’s (cut in half) with the caramel side down
Drop the remaining dough by teaspoons onto the rolo’s
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown
This was seriously so yummy! The pan was gone in a day at our house. My kids kept calling them cookies and they just wanted more and more of them. So if anyone out there is looking for a yummy, quick and easy treat you should try this out! Here is the full recipe (adapted from Taste of Home)
- 1 box (18.25 oz) yellow, vanilla or white cake mix ( I used Duncan Hines), dry
- 5 oz evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 40 Rolo Candies, unwrapped and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- With your mixer, beat cake mix, evaporated milk and butter until combined. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Divide batter in half and press 1 half into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake until just set, approximately 8-9 minutes.
- Remove base from oven and place Rolo candies, caramel-side down on top.
- Drop remaining batter on top of Rolos in teaspoon sized amounts.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes longer until top begins to golden.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.