For the past month there has been one toy that has gotten far more playing time than any other toy (perhaps more than all the other toys combined). If you have little boys you’re definitely going to want to tune in for this super easy DIY.
With the coming of Summer, stores have begun stocking swim noodles. I saw them for sale at our local HEB (grocery store) this week for just $2. The swim noodle will be cut in half to make 2 lightsabers. $1 for a light saber! You can’t get any better than that. And, here is a little mom fact: You can unleash the kids with these in the house because they are soft. I don’t have to worry about my kids getting too rough with these, nor do I have to worry about them breaking things (not that we have much to break; our house is fairly kid friendly).
Light Saber construction is extremely easy. You’ll need:
- A swim noodle (makes 2 light sabers)
- Duct Tape or Masking tape
- Colored sharpie or other permanent marker
- (optional) Small LED Flashlight like this one
- Cut the swim noodle in half.
- Wrap the bottom with masking or duct tape. Duct tape will give it a nice metallic look. We, unfortunately ran out of duct tape after just 1 lightsaber. We found, though that masking tape works just as well and is easier to color.
- Color tape/light saber handle with a sharpie or other permanent marker. You can get fancy and add little buttons or other things with marker.
Occasionally, for added effect my son will put one of our small LED flashlights in the handle end of the lightsaber giving it a very Star Wars-esque glowing effect.