I think that staying healthy and fit is one of the biggest challenges moms face. When you have kids, particularly when they’re still very young, it is hard to find time to work out. I enjoy going to the gym. I find that going to the gym not only provides me motivation to exercise (cause, hey, that’s what everyone around me is doing), but it also gives me the variety I crave in a workout. Up until we moved a few months ago, I had a membership to a gym nearby, but even the gym has its drawbacks. When you take your kids to the daycare center you introduce all sorts of viruses into your home. It seemed like we’d go the the gym for about a week, and then someone would come down with a cold. After everyone was all better we’d start our gym routine again only to have another cold virus come visit us.
Eating and food choices are just as problematic. I only have two boys, but as they get older, we get more busy. Recently, I’ve been grabbing food on the go quite often. Considering that I don’t prefer fruit, my on the go choices are usually not great ones. Most often I opt to skip a meal rather than grab a banana, or an apple, or something else equally quick and nutritious.
Here are some of the things I do to get my exercise and healthy eating in:
- I walk my son to school. Now, I want to let you know that this isn’t exactly something I’ve done completely by choice. 😉 It’s been hotter then Hades in San Antonio, but we only have one car, and The Husband almost always needs the car for work. I could have my son take the bus, but I figure that the walk is good for me. It is a little over half a mile, so I get about 2 miles of walking, while pushing a stroller, in each day.
- Play outside with the kids. Don’t be afraid to play with your kids. Engage them in a game of tag, hide and seek, catch, or other games that require a lot of movement.
- Do an excercise video with the kids. It is often just too hot outside for us to enjoy playing outside so sometimes I’ll pop in Big Brother’s yoga video.
- Make healthy dinners. Because my kids are still young and not needing to be taxied around everywhere yet, this is something that I can still do on an almost nightly basis. I make sure I include multiple veggies and some protien in the dishes I cook.
- Just get out of the house. Sometimes this is the hardest thing for me to do. With school and naptime right in the middle of the day it can be difficult to get everyone ready and out the door for an activity
The people at SunRidge Farms, who run a bike-to-work program for their employees, know how important it is to stay healthy and fit. That is why they are sponsoring a contest right here on Oh So Savvy Mom! All you have to do to participate is answer one question. The answers will be judged by myself and a SunRidge Farms representative. One lucky winner will receive the products listed below!
- SunRidge Farms Berries and Chocolate Antioxidant Trail Mix- Packed with protein, fiber, and a hearty helping of the immune system boosting antioxidants Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, lycopene, and beta carotene, Berries and Chocolate Antioxidant Mix is non-GMO and 100 percent vegetarian.
- SunRidge Farms Dark Chocolate Almonds- Freshly roasted in house, then drenched in SunRidge Farms All Natural Dark Chocolate.
- SunRidge Farms Women’s Vitality Mix- This natural mix contains almonds, dried blueberries, soy nuts, cashews, dark chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds and more, and is specially formulated for women’s health with calcium, iron and antioxidants. It contains zinc, iron and 60% daily value of calcium per serving.
- SunRidge Farms Milk Chocolate Rainbow Drops: Sweetened the way nature intended with pure cane sugar and vanilla, Rainbow Drops are Non-GMO, and free of preservatives, hydrogenated oils, artificial ingredients and artificial colorings.
- SunRidge Farms Wasabi Tamari Almonds – Bold Tamari and savory Wasabi together at last, with delicious and aromatic SunRidge Farms Roasted Almonds.
Dark Chocolate Almonds not shown.
To Enter simply leave a comment answering the following question .*Remember answers will be judged on creativity and usefulness*:
What are your secrets/tips to staying healthy and fit?
Open to US Residents 18 years of age and older. Contest will end at 11:59 pm ET on October 12, 2011.
Disclosure: I received the above-mentioned products in return for this post. All opinions expressed are honest and are entirely my own.